Congratulations on your pregnancy! This is such an exciting time in your life, and you’re probably looking for ways to commemorate it. One great way to do that is with a maternity photo shoot.
Maternity photos are a chance to capture your changing body and your growing love for your baby. They’re also a great way to document this special time in your life for you and your family to cherish forever. This is my THIRD pregnancy and I STILL made sure to book a maternity shoot!
If you’re looking for some unique maternity photography ideas, here are a few to get you started:
Get creative with props.
There are endless possibilities when it comes to props for maternity photos. You could use a chalkboard to write your baby’s name or due date, or you could pose with your favorite books or toys. If you’re feeling really creative, you could even make your own props. I went with a ‘Ready to Pop’ theme and played with bubble gum bubbles!
Incorporate your other kids and family
If you have already have other kids or even pets, of course you want to include them in your maternity photos. Since I’m pregnant with my third son, I went for a ‘Queen of the House’ theme surrounded by my men.
Do a themed shoot
If you have a particular style or theme in mind, you could do a themed maternity shoot. For example, if you love nature, you could do a forest-themed shoot. Or, if you’re a fan of vintage fashion, you could do a vintage-inspired shoot. My husband saw a shooting star and that inspired us to try for our third child, so I wanted to honor that experience with a constellation theme. I found this stunning maternity robe with stars on it from Amazon.
Wear your favorite color and show that belly!
Nothing makes you feel confident like your favorite color! So throw on your favorite shade and bare that beautiful baby bump. Even if you are still uncomfortable with your growing belly, you will CHERISH these memories when your baby is earthside. Plus you will marvel at how your baby even fit in there LOL. I found this cupcake confection maternity tulle gown in lavender on Amazon.
Don’t be afraid to try new things or even be silly.
Maternity photos are a great opportunity to let your personality shine through. So don’t be afraid to be silly and have fun with your shoot. You might be surprised at how beautiful the results are. My photographer and I were exploring ideas that included a beautiful dress toss with flowers covering my top. This concept ended up requiring the help of a few other people and was quite comical to capture, but Look how beautiful they turned out!
View this post on Instagram
No matter what you choose to do, make sure you have fun with your maternity photo shoot. This is a special time in your life, and you want to remember it for years to come. Even though you may not feel like you’re glowing, trust me when I say you will look back at these pictures and say ‘Damn I looked GOOD!!!’!
Why You Should Do a Maternity Shoot
There are many reasons why you should do a maternity photo shoot. Here are just a few:
- To capture your changing body. Your body is going through amazing changes during pregnancy, and a maternity photo shoot is a great way to capture those changes. You’ll be able to look back on your photos and remember how your body looked and felt during this special time.
- To document your growing love for your baby. Your love for your baby is growing every day, and a maternity photo shoot is a great way to document that love. You’ll be able to look back on your photos and remember how you felt when you were first expecting your baby.
- To create lasting memories. Maternity photos are a great way to create lasting memories of your pregnancy. You’ll be able to share your photos with your family and friends, and you’ll be able to look back on them for years to come.
If you’re thinking about doing a maternity photo shoot, I encourage you to do it! It’s a great way to commemorate your pregnancy and to create lasting memories of this special time in your life.
Here are some additional tips for planning your maternity photo shoot:
- Start planning early. This will give you plenty of time to find a photographer, book your shoot, and choose your outfits.
- Choose a photographer who you feel comfortable with. You’ll be spending a lot of time with your photographer, so it’s important to choose someone who you feel comfortable with and who you can trust to capture your pregnancy in a beautiful way. I worked with Nestled in Time Photography here in Los Angeles and we had a wonderful line of communication open and tossed creative ideas back and forth.
- Be yourself. This is your maternity shoot, so don’t try to be someone you’re not. Just relax and be yourself, and the photos will turn out great.
- Book hair and makeup. The last thing you want to worry about on photo shoot day is hair and makeup, so book some professionals to make you feel and look your best! When in doubt, show them examples of the look you are trying to achieve and even schedule a practice session if you are super nervous. Kudos to my glam squad here in Los Angeles @hairbyaudreyb and @makeupbyapollo
- Have fun! This is a special time in your life, so make sure you enjoy the process. Have fun with your shoot, and let your personality shine through.
I hope these tips help you plan your perfect maternity photo shoot!