I recently came home from the Hamptons with a whopping 36 bug bites! I was reminded how brutal mosquitoes on the east coast can be and how much they love me. I took to Facebook to crowd source suggestions on how to get rid of the terrible itching and misery. The response was overwhelming, so I curated this list on ways to treat bug bites for you! And I decided to leave some of the personal stories and fun notes .
12 Ways to Treat Bug Bites:
- After Bite – The Itch Eraser, a family favorite for 40 years, is a proprietary formula that relieves the itch and sting from a mosquito, flea, and other insect bites.
- For instant and permanent relief from itching and pain, we now added Baking Soda, grandma’s home remedy against insect bites and stings.
- Pharmacist-preferred, it’s endorsed by experts, so you know it works.
- Simple to apply, the applicator tip makes local, no-mess application a breeze.
- It comes in a 4 pack, kids version and single use plus version. You can also shop below:
Bathe in Salt Water
Bug bites (such as from mosquitos and chiggers) can be bathed in salt water to reduce itchiness and swelling. If you are allergic to bee stings or other bug bites, it’s important to seek immediate medical attention.
Benadryl Anti-Itch Gel
Benadryl Anti-Itch Gel is da bomb at taking away mosquito itch
- 4-ounce bottle of anti-itch gel
- Fast pain and itch relief from rashes and insect bites
- Histamine blocker soothes itching
- Topical analgesic relieves pain
- Treats rashes caused by poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac
- It comes in extra strength, a kidz version, and a two pack. You can also shop below:
I heard nail polish stops the itch 💅🏻
I googled my friend’s suggestion and found multiple articles claiming nail polish seals off the bite and stops itching. Please comment below if this has worked for you!
Unfiltered Undiluted Non-GMO Organic Apple Cider Vinegar with the Mother
- The Mother of All Vinegar – Made from certified organic apples, our apple cider vinegar (ACV) is unfiltered, raw and undiluted – the purest vinegar you can find. ACV contains live cultures known as the “Mother”, promoting an array of benefits for better health.
- Alkalize Naturally – ACV is not your average vinegar! As an alkaline-forming ingredient, it helps to purify cells from within to balance energy levels, promote detoxification, improve digestive health and so much more. Add 1 tbsp to 1 cup of warm water upon waking to rev up your metabolism.
- Pantry Must-Have – Substitute white, balsamic and rice vinegar for our ACV for its tangy flavor and wholesome benefits. No need for refrigeration!
- Improve Overall Complexion – Our ACV can be diluted with water to create your own facial toner. The Mother improves complexion by balancing skin tone and promoting a natural glow. Suitable for day and nighttime use!
- Natural Hair Tonic – Revive hair for smoothness and shine from long-term or short-term damage. Dilute ACV with water and apply to scalp and ends of hair to manage dullness, split ends and flakiness. You can buy it below:
A hot back of a spoon will stop the itch and the swelling
- HOW WELL DO YOU BREATH? Add a few drops of eucalyptus oil to your diffuser, humidifier or vaporizer. Ideal for anyone with respiratory problems. Removes odor and cleanses the air while killing mold. Works great in the sauna and steam rooms. Analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties provide a soothing pain relief massage including joint pain and arthritis.
- CLEAN YOUR HOUSE WITHOUT THE USE OF TOXIC CHEMICALS – Anti-microbial properties lets you clean practically anything in your house! Improve your oral health – Fights bad breath and prevents plaque build up.
- KEEP THE MOSQUITOES AWAY THIS SUMMER – Excellent repellent against biting insects without harmful ingredients found in common repellents. Feel cool, refreshed and invigorated while stimulating your mind with this wonderful oil. Perfect for Lice Removal and Prevention. Buy it below:
Grandpa’s Wonder Pine Tar Soap
My friend’s story:
So…. two summers ago I was innocently drinking wine on a rooftop in Charleston. I know I had been bitten, but it wasn’t until we got into the light that we realized I had over 100 bites. Life was … unpleasant … when the wine wore off!!! Grandpa’s Wonder Pine Tar Soap was the only thing that provided and relief, though I smelled like a campfire:
- Signature Pine Tar Scent
- Cleans, moisturizes and deodorizes
- For bathing, showering, shaving and shampooing
- No added colors or fragrances
Tiger Balm White
Tiger Balm White all the way (and a glass of wine)
- The classic Tiger Balm ointment which many of us grew up with. It is often used for headache remedies. Count on this family favorite to soothe a variety of ailments like stuffy nose, flatulence, and itch due to insect bites. Gently rub over the affected area to allow its herbal formulation to soothe headaches, stuffy nose, and other discomforts quickly and effectively.
- Headache remedies, Relieves stuffy nose, flatulence, and itch due to insect bites
- Fast acting pain-relief properties
- Made from herbal ingredients
Lavender essential oil
- Great for soothing and preventing bug bites
- Stops bleeding
- Be sure to dilute your essential oil with a carrier oil unless you are sprinkling the oil on your sheets to keep mosquitoes away while you snooze
Toothpaste, not gel
If your toothpaste contains baking soda, this is good news. Baking soda is an effective mosquito bite remedy.
It comes in a gel and a spray.
- Fast itching relief
- Rashes and allergic itches and minor skin irritations
- Dry skin itch and hives and minor burns and insect bites
- Poison ivy oak and sumac
- Doctor recommended for relief of pain and itching and safe for use by children
Caladryl Clear Lotion
- Topical analgesic and skin protectant lotion that provided drying action and itch relief
- Dries the oozing and weeping of poison ivy, poison oak and poison sumac
- Temporarily relieves pain and itching associated with rashes due to poison ivy, poison oak, or poison sumac
- Also works to relieve insect bites, minor skin irritiation, and minor cuts
- Shake well before using. Adults and children 2 years of age and older: Apply to affected area not more than 3 to 4 times daily
Here’s hoping wherever you are this Labor Day weekend, the pesky mosquitoes stay away from you. But if they get you, you’ve got some great ways to treat bug bites.
XOXO – Stuart
Featured image credit: Shutterstock